Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nutcracker Garland Tutorial

Hi there!

As promised, here is a step-by-step tutorial showing how I put together the Nutcracker Garland I made for the WMS Release. You might find some of these tips useful!


Step 1: Gather your materials.

I used six Nutcrackers and six Christmas trees for my garland. These images are from the newly released Nutcracker Sweet set. The number of images you use is completely up to you, based on how long you want the garland to be and how much coloring you feel like doing! I also cut a 'base' for each of my images, using the Petite Ovals Small Nestabilities and coordinating Scalloped Ovals. I cut six Bravo Burgundy ovals, six Always Artichoke ovals, and twelve Vintage Cream scalloped ovals. I also put on all the finishing touches.. inking the edges and adding glitter before I started any assembly.

Step 2: Adhere the plain ovals to the scalloped ovals to create a base for each of your images.

Step 3: Punch slots for your ribbon.

I used a Rectangle hand punch from Fiskars because it could get through two layers of cardstock. Stampin' Up! also makes a ribbon punch (which is pictured, but wouldn't punch through both layers of cardstock).

Once I punched my first set of holes, I used a pencil to trace the location on each of the remaining ovals. I did this because I wanted them to all sit the same way on the ribbon. While it may seem like a little bit of extra work, I liked the idea of 'threading' each of the pieces onto my garland better than tying or attaching them together. By doing it this way, each of the ovals can slide along the ribbon - I can easily change the spacing between them and it makes it really easy to adjust how the pieces lay. Does that make sense? I hope I explained it well enough.. if you have any questions, let me know!

Step 4: Thread your ribbon through each of your base pieces.

Threading them this way keeps the ribbon behind your base and out of the way!

Step 5: Gather up the images you're using and apply dimensional adhesive to the back.

Make sure to leave a space wide enough for your ribbon. The adhesive will 'straddle' the ribbon and still allow the bases to slide.

Step 6: Adhere the images to the base.

It is easier to adhere the images to the base after you've already threaded the ribbon (trust me).

There you have it! A completed garland, perfect to add a little holiday cheeer! You can easily adjust the spacing or how each piece lays along your length of ribbon just by sliding each piece. And see how nice and flat they lay? :)

Here's a close up of each of the designs.



I hope you found that little tutorial helpful! Ready to give it a go now?

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the Friends of WMS Blog Waltz for September. This month's theme is Halloween - how can you resist playing along?? All the details can be found here on the WMS Blog. See you tomorrow!

Anya

Recipe:
Stamps
:
Nutcracker Sweet - Waltzingmouse Stamps
Cardstock: Vintage Cream - Papertrey Ink; Bravo Burgundy, Always Artichoke - Stampin' Up!
Ink: Tuxedo Black Memento - Tsukineko; Antique Linen Distress Ink - Ranger Industries
Other: Copic Markers - Imagination International; Petite Ovals Small, Scalloped Petite Ovals Small Nestabilities - Spellbinders; Rectangle punch - Fiskars; Ivory satin ribbon - Target; Dazzling Diamonds glitter - Stampin' Up!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, Anya! Your project is beautiful. Excellent coloring and I love the touch of glitter - so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so fun! super project!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think this garland is wonderful..Thank you for the tutorial!! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlands are so fun to make. I think the biggest draw for me is that there are so many different ways to make them. Big ones, Small Ones, Round ones, Triangle ones, Stitched ones, Ribboned ones.... the sky is the limit.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love to hear from you!